After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter (and Hockey) Sunday

What a day.

My family hosted Easter this year, so everyone came over for brunch. Last night, my cousin got really sick; the kind that makes me panic. (If you know me, you know what I mean.)
He supposedly doesn't have something anyone can catch, but I'm still grateful that he didn't show today, just to be safe.
(Color me a bad person, but I just can't handle it and my immune system is awful.)

Brunch went well. The food was good, and it was nice to spend some (very brief) amount of time with my extended family. Then it was off to the Sabres game.

***********
The game was:
1. Very exciting. Nine goals at least made for an interesting game.
The Sabres really should have pulled out a win. We missed too many opportunities and our defense was awful. Losing in OT was crushing.

2. Slightly annoying. Not just because of losing; because there were three unbelievably obnoxious fans next to us. Offensive, obscenely drunk, and insanely obnoxious. It was the worst "other fans" experience that I, and my boyfriend, have ever experienced.
(together or apart)
It was so bad, it makes me never want to go to another game.
plus two of the fans were talking about how violently ill they've been at games...yikes for me.
I freaked about germs and catching it.
They then proceeded to have literally 20 beers. No wonder they're sick. Idiots.

Overall, it was an okay time.
The fans (near us) were awful, and we lost.
The Sabres have pissed me off, and I don't know if I'm going to watch Game 7.
But: My boyfriend and I got to spend all afternoon together, always a plus.

I'm partly proud of myself; because I made it through the day. I ate some, and managed to go out and enjoy myself (until we lost).

*********************
Now, however, I'm beyond exhausted. My body aches from the stress of the day, and the POTS symptoms from being so active. I'm nervous to eat because of the germ-potential (I showered immediately upon getting home), but I'm going to try anyways and hope I'll be okay.


Amount of sleep: about 6.5 hours

Diet:
- Brunch: hashbrown casserole, mixed fruit (blackberries, pineapple, strawberries), bacon...1 cup cranberry juice
- Dinner: leftover salmon and chips, 3 cups water
- Snack 1: snack pack of mini m&ms (tiny, from my Easter basket)
- Snack 2:

Exercise/activities:
- cooking for Easter
- Sabres game

P.O.T.S. symptoms experienced:
so far: cold extremities, pounding heart, arrhythmia, headache, anxiety, nausea, heartburn, lightheaded, achey.
I'm sure a lot of it comes from the elevation changes and the strain of climbing hundreds of stairs to get to our seats.

Misc:
continuing intermittant abdomen pain

No comments:

Post a Comment