After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bloodless Rainy Wednesday

Today I had to go back for my bloodwork.
I got there at 7:45am and waited for over an hour. The cortisol check has to be done between 7am and 9am and I was taken back at 8:45am...just in the nick of time!

Based on the bloodwork orders, they wanted TWENTY THREE vials of blood. Holy cow.
(here's a picture of the first 19 vials, the nurse left to get four 'frozen' ones from another room)



The nurse looked at me and said she didn't feel comfortable taking that much from me so we filled one doctor's order only: still more than eleven vials. (I think 16 was the final count...took away seven, and added a couple from a different room)

The nurse is going to contact the second doctor who ordered bloodwork, to see if any of the overlap can be taken care of by this first round of tests before I go give any more blood.

Amount of sleep:

about 5.5 hours


Heart rate a.m. :
laying down: 90/56 HR:92
standing: 80/57 HR: 147
symptom attack: 80/56 HR:87

Diet:
- Breakfast: big bowl of corn chex with lactaid and brown sugar. extra glass of milk. (about 2.5 cups total)
- Lunch: rest of roast beef and fries, small glass dr. pepper
- Dinner: stir fry beef, potatoes, green beans, small glass gingerale
- Snack 1: pretzels and 2.5 cups water
- Snack 2: handful m&ms and 2 cups water

Exercise/activities:

-

P.O.T.S. symptoms experienced:

so far: pounding heart, irregular heartbeat, cold extremities, lightheadedness, hard to breathe, exhausted, heart pounding

Heart rate p.m. :
laying down:95/60 HR:61
standing: 82/56 HR: 94

Misc:
- Rainy day, making me feel exhausted and breathing is tough

No comments:

Post a Comment