After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Sunday, June 12, 2011

When POTS attacks

Last night, I was at my boyfriend's house when I had one of the worst POTS attacks than I've had in a long time.

We were just watching tv when all of the sudden I couldn't breathe. I was gasping for air, my fingers and teeth and lips and feet were numb. I wasn't panicking, my heart was flipping out. My pulse was actually only around 80, but the arrhythmia was so bad it felt like it was racing out of control.

My boyfriend wanted to call an ambulance.

I said no purely because there isn't a thing they could do for me. I've had attacks before and there's nothing I can do but wait them out. The cardiologist says my heart's in fine shape so I'm not going to have a heart attack, so why call the paramedics?

Eventually it quieted, and now I'm okay. (though exhausted)

He was scared...hell, I was scared.
It's not doing much to calm my fears of having my heart give out, or dying young.

No comments:

Post a Comment