After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Monday, June 27, 2011

At least it feels like progress...

Today, I made the rounds with phone calls again and actually had a pleasant(ish) surprise- my records were finally transferred from The Jerk to my regular GP. Hallelujah!

I immediately asked the lady who works in the records department (who I owe a fruit basket or something to by now just for taking my repeated phone calls) to send my testing records and results to the new potential cardiologist. She called me back once she'd done that; so I feel better knowing there's progress being made there.

I also asked her to get a copy of my complete records (not just tests/results) for the last five years for my own personal files. She said it costs $.75 per page so I can only imagine what this is going to run me. (sigh) She should have them for me by the end of the week.

In the meantime, I'm going to call around for lawyers to see if any of them will give me a free consultation on this matter. If I can set up one or two for next week, I'll have my records in hand and I can get a definitive answer on the lawsuit situation. Again, small step but I feel progress is being made.

I've also talked to my boyfriend and we are going to sell off some of our stocks to make sure I can cover my bills for this month. It's breaking my heart to do it, but it needs to be done and I'm grateful to have invested it a few years ago so I can use part of it now. It will ease the stress only minimally, but I'll take any improvement I can.

***
On the more-enjoyable part of the plus side:

  • Over the weekend I spent a few hours at my boyfriend's house hanging out with his new roommate and a friend of mine (roommate's girlfriend). I felt pretty poorly for most of the night, but I'm glad I chose to go. It was my first time 'hanging out' with anyone, for an extended period of time, in over three years. A big deal for me.
  • This morning I felt fantastic; better than I have in a long time...I got up early and went hunting for the perfect present for a friend of mine (I have something specific in mind) and then I did an epic 2-hour shop at the grocery store. Sadly, the feeling-well was fleeting; when I got home I unloaded everything and then was completely incapacitated for the rest of the day. I actually passed out in a chair in the afternoon- which is something that I NEVER do. (Hell, I get maybe two hours of sleep a night if I'm lucky because my meds-induced insomnia is so bad...so to be so tired I drop off just shows how exhausted I was.) Bad weather is moving in so tomorrow will be rough, but today I did it and that's what counts.

1 comment: