After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sticky Thursday

Ugh today is miserable out; not exceedingly hot but muggy as all get out.
I took the dogs out for a walk this morning, and by the time I got home my heart was pounding and I couldn't breathe. (From heat intolerance I have no doubt.)
So, at the moment, I'm hiding out in the a/c...which is fine because I've been sick all morning.


Amount of sleep: nowhere near enough. Maybe five hours? Horrible nightmares though. Waking up screaming and crying does not make for a good night's sleep :(

BP a.m.:
standing: 75/41 HR: 129
laying down: 78/55 HR 51 arrhythmia

Diet:
- Breakfast: Ensure
- Snack 1: pretzels, 4 cups water
- Snack 2: rice cakes, 2 cups dr. pepper, 3 cups water
Just horrible today. I really need to get past the stress and work harder at this.

Exercise/activities:
- took each of the dogs for a walk

P.O.T.S. symptoms experienced:
so far: nausea, cold extremities, stomach upset (lower), heart pounding, migraine, sweats, visual disturbances, extreme heat intolerance, fatigue, insomnia, mood swings, difficulty breathing.

Misc: I'm having that pain in my side again from my surgery. :(

More Misc:
Here are a smattering of my recent BPs. I was dumb and didn't put them in my blog as soon as I recorded them, and I didn't write down the dates I took them...so I'm not entirely sure what days they go with. (Like I said: dumb.) But they are important to know so here they are:

84/64 HR: 82 arrhythmia
81/57 HR: 52
84/50 HR: 105
100/68 HR: 57
94/91 HR: 61

104/61 HR: 76 arrhythmia
84/41 HR: 57 arr.
93/53 HR: 73
72/48 HR: 123
83/58 HR: 142

82/34 HR: 49
80/34 HR:47
99/67 HR: 76
77/40 HR:51

When they're all listed like that, it gives a pretty clear picture of what my body goes through every day. Heart rates ranging from 47 to three times that? Holy crap. No wonder I feel so awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment