After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Monday, August 29, 2011

A big step forward.

Tomorrow, I have an interview. I'm incredibly nervous. I can't even describe how nervous. My biggest concern is obviously POTS. I don't want to have a POTS attack in the middle of the interview-which has happened before; when I interviewed for a graduate school program.) I also worry about how this prospective employer will take hearing about POTS. I don't feel it's right to keep something that affects my daily life and my physical abilities a secret. It's unfair to them, and it's certainly unfair to me as I'll need adjustments made for me. Possibly a stool if I'm working a cash register, or more frequent breaks if I'm on the floor. Either way, they deserve to know and I don't feel it's right to hide it until after I would get hired (if I would get hired.) I want the job but I'm not going to lie to get it.

So, hopefully they will be willing to give me (and my POTS) a chance.
Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment