After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Resolutions

Happy New Year!

Last year, I took to the idea of actually having serious New Year's Resolutions.

A couple of mine this year are:
  1. Get a job I like - Now that I'm starting to finally feel a little bit better (most days) I'm looking forward to finding a job that I like and that makes enough money to help pay off those pesky doctor bills.
  2. Gain 5 lbs - Last year's goal (Gain 15 lbs) was a little too ambitious; according to a lot of research, it takes the average person almost 8 years to gain that much weight, plus with POTS I'm already at a disadvantage. Overall, I gained 6 lbs last year and would like to gain another 5 this year.
  3. Give yoga another shot- this was something that I tried early on in my illness and it was a nightmare. The doctor's say it should be better with the medication that I'm taking so that would be nice. The only thing I'm cleared to do is something low-impact like yoga, so I'd like to give it another shot.
  4. Accept some things, deal with the others, and move on - over the last two years, I've had an incredible amount of stress in my life (between family, health, and losing my job/school) that's pretty much broken me down. This year I'd like to find better ways to deal with things going on. If it's something I just have to accept: accept it. If it's something that needs to be dealt with: deal with it. If I can't do either of those things/once I've accomplished those things? Move on.
  5. Manage my POTS- pretty obvious, but always on my mind. I think I'll consider this done once I'm getting out more often, I gain a couple more pounds and I can be a bit more active.
There are other ones, but I feel that these are the most important to my health- mentally and physically...and that these are the most important in relation to my blog (obviously). If I accomplish these, I think my life will finally start a long overdue turnaround!

No comments:

Post a Comment