After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Monday, January 31, 2011

cause for concern?

This morning, I was out running errands; trying to keep myself busy and get things done before my surgery on Friday, when I received a phone call from the surgeon's office.

Apparently, my bloodwork came back atypical and the anesthesiologist is concerned. So, I have to go see my primary doctor tomorrow to see whether I can get clearance for my surgery or not. If not, I don't know what's going to happen.

I called the surgeon's office back to try and get a little more information out of them, and it seems the Potassium concentration is high in my blood stream. (hyperkalemic)

Being a (slightly) nervous Nelly, I looked up what hyperkalemia is and what causes it. Everything I found, shows it's a kidney malfunction. (Originally, I thought it might be a side effect of my meds, but I can't find any correlation between them. If anything, I've found Florinef being used to treat hyperkalemia.)

I'm not too ashamed to say that that prospect makes me highly nervous.

Why, you ask? Because one of the symptoms of hyperkalemia is tingly feelings in your body and muscle weakness; both of which I've (sometimes to the point of pain) experienced this week.

That's just what I need - to find out I have kidney failure or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment