After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Monday, July 18, 2011

Some like it hot.

Some...don't.
Actually, it's more a case of 'the heat hates me'.

The last few days have been pretty rough for me. It's been almost 90 degrees out every day. The outlook for the next week: more 90 degree weather. Thursday it might even be 95! Ugh.

A couple of days ago, Saturday, I did pretty well. I'd never been in heat this high since starting my medications so I decided to test the waters. I stocked up on salty snacks and tons of water. My boyfriend and I went swimming and I spent a couple of hours outside. I thought I was doing really well until I started to crash later.

On the way to my boyfriend's for dinner, I had a full out attack. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't see straight (which was not a good thing while driving!), I was nauseous and my throat stopped working. I couldn't even tell my boyfriend what was wrong. I walked in, sat on his couch and cried because I'm so tired of feeling like this and having these problems. It was only a few hours and most of it was in the shade! The later the day got, the worse I felt. I became very achey and sore with a bad headache and nausea. All I could do was pound the water. It felt like how other people describe a hangover. (I wouldn't know because I've never had more than two drinks in a sitting before in my life, and I don't drink with my medication.)
***
The next day, I was still feeling iffy, so I stayed inside almost the entire day. I decided to swim for literally 30 minutes, and I started to feel very sick again. A half hour! That was the end of my being outdoors time for the day. Thankfully it wasn't as bad for the rest of the day, but it was still bad.
***
The last few days have been really muggy, which is almost worse. I can feel the heaviness in the air. My heart pounds, my headaches are awful and my arrhythmia trips more often. The pooling in my legs is so uncomfortable that I want to scream!
***
*

The part that's really upsetting about all of it to me, is that I was asked to go on vacation with my boyfriend's family this year; and (for once) I was seriously debating going.
They're going to one of my favorite beach locations, and I very much would like to go to the beach. After everything, it would be so nice to go and relax.
But, I just don't think I can go.
If I'm unable to tolerate an hour outside here when it's 90 degrees out, there's no way I can tolerate 100+ degrees for the 8-10 hours a day they spend on the beach.
They are getting rooms with a/c, but to drive 14 hours (which is also very hard on my POTS) to sit in a hotel room 23 hours a day is a huge waste of time and money.
I want to go to the beach, not watch them be at the beach from the hotel.
Maybe next year.
sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment