After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

New Cardiologist

Yesterday I went to see a new cardiologist.

He was really nice, and he made me laugh. We talked about POTS and what I was doing for it, and he said there's nothing else he can suggest. I'm doing everything I can. He'd seen a few patients with it, but none of the ones my age or older had 'grown out' of it, or gotten better; though some had some relief with medications and lifestyle changes. There's no standard form of treatment; it's just trial and error. There isn't enough information out there about it because it's so new, and there aren't many physicians who know about it. In his words: "POTS is a shitty condition." Like I don't know that!

Even though that news wasn't particularly positive or helpful, it did make me feel better that I'm doing everything I can; the problem isn't me or my efforts, it's the condition and lack of medical knowledge on it.

I have to take a vitamin D supplement because my levels are really low (it's a specific 8 week regimen to restore my vitamin D, not just a regular vitamin).

As for the purple hand/foot, I have to have an Ankle-Brachial Index test (ABI) to rule out Peripheral Artery Disease.

There were other things that went on in my appointment; some that were upsetting...but they're not related to POTS so I'm going to keep them in my private blog instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment