After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Thursday, July 21, 2011

ABI- check!

I had my Ankle- Brachial Index (ABI) test this morning.

In the grande scheme of testing that I've had, it wasn't that bad.
You go in, lay on a table in a fancy gown, and they put BP cuffs on your arms and legs. Then they take the pressures in your arms (elbows) and two pressures in your leg; one on the top of the foot, and one on the back.

After that, they took a wave sonogram of the arteries in my legs: groin, behind the knees, and two places in my feet. That part took forever.

Then, there's an 'exercise' portion of the test where I had to walk on a treadmill for five minutes and then hop on the table while the did the arm and leg blood pressures again. Thankfully, that was the end.

The tech thought that everything looked good (meaning no Peripheral Artery Disease) but she can't say 100% for sure because the doctor has to look at it.
***
Not such a bad test really...although, unfortunately, I had a massive POTS attack in the middle (lack of movement, posture changes, temperature changes...from 90 outside to 65 inside, etc). So that part was a nightmare and I couldn't wait to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment