After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

the point of this whole thing

Over the last few years, I've lost a ton of weight; 20 lbs to be exact- but when you're only starting at 105lbs that's a lot. I've been going through testing to try and find the cause. So far, we've discovered IBS-which severely limits the foods I can eat- and that I have no motility in my esophagus, which makes swallowing food very difficult.

My goals are:

- Gain 15 lbs by the end of this year. I started at about 90lbs, and am up 5 pounds in just over 3 months which is right on track!

- Start exercising again. While I can't do much until I gain some weight, I would like to have the weight I gain be healthy muscle instead of fat.

- Eat a better diet. This will also come after I gain weight. For now, I have to eat high calorie foods- which often aren't healthy in order to take in enough calories to gain the weight I need.

- Get out more. Being so thin and being sick so often has really kept me home a lot, so somewhere in all of this work, I'd like to get out more!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome Erika!! It seems as if you are really taking a stand for yourself. Be a self-advocate! We'll be there to support you all the way...ANYTHING you need...just let us know! WE LOVE YOU!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you :) i love you guys too!

    ReplyDelete