After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Today I completed a marathon...

One of the sites that I’ve come to adore (as a POTSie as well as a person!) is called 43things. It’s a goal-setting site that allows you to come up with a list of things you’d like to achieve. Each goal can be short or long term; heck it can be anything you want! As a goal is put on your list, you’re able to write entries on your progress. There’s also the ability to interact with others; which has been wonderful in the year(s) where I had little interaction with anyone due to illness. I’ve found it to be a great organizational, and motivational, tool. Check it out, it’s awesome!

A few of the people that I interact with are runners, hikers, and just generally very active people. (Perhaps opposites attract?) Several of them are 5K runners and marathon participants.

Now, the odds of me running a marathon are slim to none. Honestly, I’m okay with that. I’m not a runner (I never was) and it was just never something that I considered to be a ‘must do’ in my lifetime. My passions and dreams lay outside the world of running.

Still, it must be an incredible thing to accomplish. So, I decided to institute my own.

As most POTSies know, some days just getting out of bed feels like a marathon. Walking to the mailbox, or up a flight of stairs can be an exhausting travel. On my worst days, I’m pleased as punch when I can just shower and walk downstairs!

It’s taken three years of ‘training’ to be able to walk a mile with my dogs; how in the heck was I going to accomplish a marathon? So, I set myself an open time limit with the only stipulation being that I was going to walk a marathon’s distance of 26.22 miles.

Today, after several months of dedication, I completed that goal. Words can’t express how good it feels; especially after being more-or-less homebound two years ago.

With a lot of determination, and support from my 43things friends, I did it! Me!

A friend of mine through 43things (yes, you make great friends there) sent me a small package with a note of congratulations as well as a homemade runners bib and a finisher’s medal. I will display them with pride.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing how you worked around an obstacle to achieve the victory of a dream fulfilled. I LOVE your idea since I wished I could run a marathon, then realized well maybe walk a half-marathon someday, and then think right now, hmmm walking would be nice. lol So maybe one day I will have to adopt your goal. Cheers and high-fives for your victory and your ingenuity!! :) You inspire and encourage so many like me. hugs, ~ Christine

    ReplyDelete