After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Blissful exhaustion.

Just about two weeks ago now, I was flat on my back exhausted. Now, I'm exhausted often as fatigue is something that's annoyingly constant with my POTS. However, this was a different kind of worn out. This was the blissful I-just-accomplished-something-extraordinary kind of exhausted. The best kind.

What had I done to feel this way? I'll tell you!

The week leading up to this flop out, I took a trip. Not just any trip either; a four thousand mile long, cross country road trip. From New York, to Texas, to Louisiana, to South Carolina and back again. It took six 10+ hour days and we drove through fifteen different states- thirty percent of the country- but I made it. I did it. Me. A girl with POTS who three years ago could barely get out of bed and who showered every other day and only when she could scrape up enough energy.

I'm not going to lie and say that it was smooth sailing. I had POTS attacks and episodes. I had to be vigilant about my medications and wear compression stockings all day every day. Almost every night, I felt extremely ill. I had to push through a lot, with the help of my boyfriend.

But, I did more than survive it; I thrived. I was able to see new areas of the country that I'd dreamed about visiting before my illness, and that I thought I'd never be able to see. I saw crop dusting in Alabama and the plains of Texas (gorgeous). I ate beignets in New Orleans. I also met up with some of my family in Myrtle Beach and visited the beach for the first time in years. I played mini golf and went out to eat in a restaurant- something else that I've been unable to do for so long that I can't even remember the last time.

The reason we went was to scope out the grad schools that I've been accepted to. Will I pick any of them? I don't know; but, even if I don't, the trip was worth it in so many other ways and I'm so glad that I was able to accomplish going.

I'm still recovering from the stress and strain on my body, but I'm relishing every ache and pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment