After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Monday, April 9, 2012

The best conversation I had last week...

The best conversation I had last week wasn't even a conversation; it was a compliment.

A friend of mind is in medical school and working towards her PhD. She sent me a message through facebook to tell me that she really admires my work to raise awareness for POTS. She also made a suggestion to me for how I can try to raise the profile for the disease a little bit through the medical community. In one of her classes, they have patients come in and give their perspectives on certain conditions and illnesses; so she suggested that I see if the medical school near me does something similar so I could talk to medical students about POTS.

Her support meant a lot to me. She didn't have to reach out and say something, but she did. She didn't have to make a suggestion to help, but she did.

I'm flattered and grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment