After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cardiologist

I made a decision a few weeks ago that I would try and see a cardiologist and find a new GP; find someone who knows more about POTS. So, today, I finally had an appointment with the cardiologist.

How it went:

At first, I was not impressed…I waited well over an hour to see him, and was extremely pissed off at that. So pissed that I got up, and told the receptionist that I had somewhere else to be, I couldn’t wait any longer and had every intention of leaving without paying for that appointment. (Ballsy for me; normally I’m a doormat when it comes to doctor’s offices.) The receptionist apologized profusely and had me talk to the office manager, who got me in to see the doctor..who also apologized profusely. He had a patient with an emergency and they were backed up because of it.

While I was waiting, I had told myself, and my boyfriend (who ended up missing class because he came to support me and they were so late) that if this guy didn’t know anything about POTS-which was going to be my first question- we were walking out and I wasn’t going to waste any more of our time.

So, it was my first question to him. He seemed to really know exactly what he was talking about- I was so impressed that my aggravation actually dissolved. (Shocking because I was really pissed off at that point!)

He got a complete history of my condition, and the symptoms I’d experienced. He also found out what testing I’d already had and the results; even calling the hospitals and the doctors I’d seen to get my results while I was there so we could form a specific course of action right then and there.

He asked me if I’d had my hormone levels checked at all, I said no…and he seemed very surprised by that and feels I should definitely have that checked out. Especially because I’ve lost a ton of weight, I can’t get it back up and I’m losing my hair. (Uh…hello, I asked/told the OBGYN that exact thing not two days ago! See, I know my body people!) That impressed both my boyfriend and me because I literally just asked, and was denied, this.

He also asked if I’d been having routine bloodwork for the Florinef, to which I also had to say no. He seemed flat out shocked that my primary doctor refused my requests to check my blood for Florinef effects. (Yep…I asked my GP about it TWICE and he refused.) This doctor thinks that’s flat out WRONG because Florinef needs to be constantly monitored for potassium levels and kidney function. Once again, I was right.

He then gave me a complete physical (he’s also a certified GP), took my pressures in various postures (found out that my blood pressure is still extremely low even though I’m taking medication), and took an EKG before coming up with his plan. He also checked all of my previous tests and results to make sure I wouldn’t have to go through tests again that I don’t need.

His plan:
1. He ordered the following:

  • Bloodwork to check for hormone levels, potassium levels, and a whole mess of other stuff. Seriously, the bloodwork order is as long as my arm. I hope I have enough blood in me to be able to complete it all in one shot lol! While it’s a lot, it’s okay; bloodwork is relatively easy and I’d rather they be thorough- something my other doctors don’t seem to care about.
  • Cultures to make sure there’s no bacterial issues (there aren’t, but it’s a standard test and has been almost a year since I’ve had one)
  • A stress test with echo-cardiogram. (This I’m not looking forward to at all. I had a stress test three years ago and it was absolute hell. Probably because POTS makes you extremely exercise intolerant…I had to stop the test because I could taste blood. But this guy seems to be really caring and, because we know of my condition, he won’t push harder than I say I can safely push myself to do.)

2. He gave me a list of things I can try to do (I’ve done most of them, but it’s worth a shot)

3. He also wants me to try a new drug that’s commonly used with Florinef (a lot of POTS patients require a combination of meds) it’s called Midodrine. I’m going to do some research on it before I use it though, but so far my research on it makes it seem promising. Plus, the side effects seem pretty minimal which always makes me happy. I have to call and see if I should start it before my bloodwork or not though.

Overall feeling:
Honestly? I feel…relieved. I feel like this guy has a pretty good handle on what he’s talking about (which he should because he’s a cardiologist) and I also feel that he has taken my concerns a lot more seriously than my own regular doctors. His disdain at how I’ve been treated previously and anger/irritation that I haven’t been given tests I requested and that I clearly fit the need for makes me feel good about him.

I’m a bit bummed about even more testing. My body is so worn out from it… but, at least he’s taking my concerns seriously and really is listening to me and checking all possible complications. About damn time.

No comments:

Post a Comment