After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Trip stuff

I know, you all have just been on tenterhooks wondering how my trip went right? (kidding!)

To sum it up: much better than I thought!

*Drive down:* I was concerned about my POTS and how the drive would be, and it really turned out to be much better than I could have hoped for. I made it through 18 of the 19 hour trip down without being sick. Only the last hour was very rough, but I think that may have been something that I ate because I felt sick for quite a while and my POTS is usually a quick on/off thing.

~As a side note, when I was in the hospital for my appendix the first time (in December) I wasn't allowed to eat for 48 hours. On the t.v. I saw the commercial for Wendy's 'all natural' new fries about a THOUSAND times. It was torture, and I decided I needed them when I got out. I never had them...until we were on the road. Finally, I got them after 3 months! Unfortunately, they're what made me sick...but at least I got to fulfill that little 'dream' lol!~

*While we were in Florida:* my POTS was perfect. Seriously, I felt better there for four days than I have in over a year. I ate three square meals a day and got up and out every single day. I was able to get up and go when I wanted to, and spend time away from the house. I was also able to eat some things that I normally can't tolerate (that my grandma made and I was too polite to tell her it would normally make me sick) and I wasn't sick once! Not. Once.

Some moments were tough: My grandma is depressed (understandably) and had rough moments, but we got through them. It was definitely weird being in the house without my grandpa. But there were some good moments too. We got my grandma to laugh a bit, and did stuff for her that she needed. She got to tell us stories, and I watched one of her favorite movies with her.

_A funnyish story_: On our second last day there, my boyfriend totally OD'd on coffee. It made him kind of sick and threw his sinuses out of whack. So, that night, he took some actifed and went to bed.
While in bed, he was yelling out, so I went to check on him (we had separate rooms) and when I went to wake him up he said "I want some oodles of noodles! Get me the manager!" then he punched me LOL! Totally by accident, and he was still asleep at the time but I didn't see it coming at all. This is actually why my sister can't take actifed, it gave her nightmares and she would act them out (punch things etc) so it just made me laugh and he will never be taking it again!

*On the way home:* I felt great. Again, until hour 18. Although, this time it was (more or less) my boyfriend's 'fault'. We stopped at the one rest stop and he took forever. He was fine, but it just took him a long time and it gave me a panic attack. One of those full-out ones that I haven't had in a long time. I calmed down as best as I could (thankfully, I can bring myself back from one 99.9% of the time) and we made it home safe and sound.

~He told me he thought about letting me know he might be a while so I wouldn't freak out, and he forgot...and sure enough I freaked lol Does he know me or what?~


(Unfortunately, for him, he got food poisoning for something and has been sick for the last two days since. Fortunately for me, I didn't eat the same thing that made him sick.)

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with how this trip went. I traveled out of my (current) comfort zones for HOURS and did very well; even my boyfriend was impressed. I was able to do what needed to be done and it was a much more pleasant experience than I thought it would be...we even stole away to the world's smallest beach and had a virgin strawberry daiquiri.

What can I say? I'm pleasantly surprised and pleased. :)

*P.S.* It was 75 and sunny every.freaking.day. I was in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment