After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Saturday, March 5, 2011

You're kidding me, right?

So…as anyone who’s followed me knows, I’ve had radiating pains in my kidney/groin area ever since my surgery. My boyfriend’s been really freaked out about it because of how severe it’s been and how long it’s lasted. Plus, the doctors aren’t exactly being comforting about what it could be (saying it could be kidney disease).

I had another painful attack this morning while I was talking on the phone to my boyfriend – lucky him! Not.

When we got off the phone, I went about trying to do my normal stuff and my boyfriend has apparently been doing research because it upsets him so much.

What he found:(fragmented, I’m sorry)

“Florinef is known to cause adrenal insufficiency during times of trauma (surgery) and is supposed to be treated post-surgery with another medicine. A sign of adrenal insufficiency is the over excretion of potassium. Kidney disease includes pain that radiates from kidney areas to the groin and legs”

My Reaction: seriously??! WTF!! Florinef is the medicine I take for POTS! I’ve taken it constantly since my surgery! I’ve had low blood potassium because my kidneys are over excreting it….and I’ve had horrible radiating pains!

So…there’s a chance my POTS meds are killing my kidneys?? Just f-ing fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment