After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Saturday, February 4, 2012

a harsh realization.

Last night, I was reading a fellow POTSie's blog and they were talking about how hurt and angry they were feeling at being so invisible to everyone around them. It really struck a chord with me and made me realize something...

In the two years since my official diagnosis with POTS, not one person has stepped up or approached me about any of it. Half of my family doesn't even know or remember that that's what I have; I found out my grandparents didn't even know I was ill. (Seriously, what the hell.) Only one friend has checked in with me now and then.

Not a single member of my boyfriend's family has made any attempts. It hurts. To them, I look healthy and I come off as standoffish or flaky or rude by not going to their family things when they don't know or care what's really going on. They know about POTS, but not one of them (or my own family) has done any research or even google-d 'POTS' to find out what it is or how it affects me. Not a single attempt at acceptance or understanding.

Instead, what I'm doing and how I am is treated as a disappointment. It's a daily struggle and something that it extremely unfair. I can't adequately put into works how much it hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment