After being sick for so long, I finally have a name for my illness: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, otherwise known as P.O.T.S.

A cardiac condition that's stripped me of my health, weight (causing me to drop to anorexic weight), self confidence, friends, jobs and continuing my education.

My goals are simple: gain weight, be healthier, and get out more. Basically, get my life back!

I'm also hoping to spread some awareness on this little known condition, and to highlight the struggles of the underweight and people with "invisible illnesses."

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Holidays survived!

Well, the Christmas holidays are over!

On the whole, I'm quite pleased about them.

Christmas Eve? Went exactly according to plan. I didn't even get my usual anxiety about it! The only issue, was that when we (my boyfriend and I) arrived, the rest of my family decided to eat really early - which is what I was trying to avoid. I planned on being there, watching them open presents, and then leaving before they ate so I wouldn't be the only one not eating. They decided to change the order and eat first, so that was awkward.

Christmas Day? Oh the day I was dreading. My mom makes a ton of food and is very pushy about it, and my boyfriend's family wants me to come for dinner (which I've already talked about). Things went mostly according to plan. Got up, presents, brunch, exchanged with the boyfriend, THEN showered (ugh I hate waiting that long but I hat to wait for hot water), then had dinner. I was starting to get really anxious about eating then going to see my boyfriend's family but I sucked it up and did it. I ate, waited about an hour, then went to his parent's house. This is huge for me. I could easily have backed out, but I didn't.

Seeing my boyfriend's family was interesting. They just got a new puppy (it's cute, in a you're-adorable-but-not-so-cute-I-want-to-take-you-home kind of way) and his dad was really happy to see me. I love his dad, the nicest man I've ever met. Now that my dad doesn't live here anymore, I could easily see him being my surrogate dad. My boyfriend's mom? Didn't even come say hi to me. It was odd, especially seeing as she's the only who constantly asks him if I'm going to show up. To be fair, I could have gone to see her but she was busy with other people. I stayed about an hour then went home. I would have stayed longer, but something from dinner did not agree with me.


Anyways, on the whole- I made it! I pushed myself and made it through. It made my boyfriend and his dad really happy, so it was worth it. I even managed to eat normal meals and extra food instead of stopping eating out of anxiety. I'm very pleased with how the holiday turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment